USS Maryland (BB-46), a Colorado-class battleship, was the third ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the seventh state.
Her keel was laid down 24 April 1917 by Newport News Shipbuilding Company of Newport News, Virginia. She was launched on 20 March 1920, and sponsored by Mrs. E. Brook Lee, wife of the Comptroller of the State of Maryland and daughter-in-law of United States Senator from Maryland Blair Lee; she was commissioned on 21 July 1921, with Captain C.F. Preston in command.
With a new type of seaplane catapult and the first 16 in (410 mm) guns mounted on a US ship, Maryland was the pride of the Navy. Following an East Coast shakedown, she found herself in great demand for special occasions. She appeared at Annapolis, Maryland, for the 1922 United States Naval Academy graduation and at Boston, Massachusetts, for the anniversary of Battle of Bunker Hill and the Fourth of July. From 18 August-25 September, she paid her first visit to a foreign port transporting Secretary of State Charles Evans Hughes to Rio de Janeiro for Brazil's Centennial Exposition. The next year, after fleet exercises off the Panama Canal Zone, Maryland transited the canal in the latter part of June to join the battle fleet stationed on the west coast.
Seaman Leslie Short, addressing Christmas cards near his machine gun, brought the first of his ship's guns into play, shooting down one of two torpedo bombers that had just released against Oklahoma. Inboard of Oklahoma, and thus protected from the initial torpedo attack, Maryland managed to bring all her antiaircraft (AA) batteries into action. Maryland was struck by two armor-piercing bombs which detonated low-order. The first struck the forecastle awning and made a hole about 12 ft (3.7 m) by 20 ft (6.1 m). The second exploded after entering the hull at the 22 ft (6.7 m) water level at Frame 10. The latter hit caused flooding and increased the draft forward by 5 ft (1.5 m). Maryland continued to fire and, after the attack, sent firefighting parties to assist her sister ships. The Japanese announced that she had been sunk, but 30 December, battered yet sturdy, the ship entered the repair yard at Puget Sound Navy Yard. Two of the original 12 5 inch (127 mm)/51 cal guns were removed and the 5 inch (127 mm)/25 cal guns were replaced by an equal number of 5 inch (127 mm)/38 cal guns.