USS Henley (DD-762), an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer, was the 4th ship of the United States Navy to be named Henley, was named after Captain Robert Henley (5 January 1783 – 7 October 1828); an officer in the United States Navy during the Quasi-War with France, the War of 1812 and the Second Barbary War.
In addition to the 3 destroyers named "USS Henley" (DD-39, DD-391, and DD-762), there was an additional "Henley", USS John D Henley (DD-553) which was named after Captain John D. Henley, a brother of Captain Robert Henley.
The fourth Henley (DD-762) was launched 8 April 1945 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco; sponsored by Mrs. George S. Wheaton; and commissioned 8 October 1946, Commander Dwight L. Moody in command.
After shakedown in the Pacific, Henley headed east, reporting to the Sonar School at Key West 19 February 1947 for a 5-month tour of duty. She then reported to Norfolk, from which she sailed 28 July for her first Mediterranean cruise, which terminated 1 December at Boston. On her second tour in the Mediterranean, Henley patrolled with other U.N. ships in the summer of 1948 as the Israeli-Arab dispute threatened to erupt into war. After a year of tactical training exercises and fleet maneuvers, Henley decommissioned at Charleston 15 March 1950. Less than 6 months later, with the outbreak of war in Korea, Henley went back in commission, rejoining the active fleet 23 September. Shakedown over, she sailed July 1951 for another tour with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Henley was detached from this duty and made a cruise to northern European ports, including a journey up the Seine to Rouen, before returning to Norfolk in February 1952.